Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Taking Metformin for uterine fibroids. Scan showed polycystic ovary and follicle in ovary. Is this curable?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 218 Questions
In September i as diagnosed that i have small fibroids in Uterus and was under medication - was taking Metformin tablets. i stopped it in February. Yesterday -(April 15 th ) i went for check up. Again the doctor did a scan. it says that my right ovary is polycystic and left ovary has follicle. Is this curable. does this require any surgery.. i am very much afraid about this. Is it possible to concieve within 6 months?? Please help. Moreover in the scan it shows polyps in the Gallbladder.. whats the treatment for this
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 1 hour later

Problems addressed are:-
1. Fibroids in the uterus - can be present in up to 30 - 40% of the women. They can vary in size from seedling fibroids or very large ones.
The concern of a fibroid and infertility is when it is within the uterine cavity - known are sub mucous type or a larger one which might, due to size and location can cause tubal obstruction.

It is not right to fix a time frame for a fruitful conception in any particular case as the factors widely vary. I have seen good number of successful pregnancies within the frame.

2. Polycytic ovary - is another common condition. But as your scan suggests that there is a follicle in the ovary - it means your ovary is responding and working. When the follicle reaches an optimum size it will rupture and release the egg. Metformin is usually suggested to patients who have an associated insulin resistance seen commonly in PCO women. This increased the chances in majority of women. You can take this option to the treating doctor.

3. Polyp in the gall bladder is totally not related condition and you need to XXXXXXX a gastroenterologist and discuss this issue with them for further management.
I think if you try and if your husband's tests are normal the chance to get pregnant is good.
Your consultant will be able to guide you through this.

Hope to have answered your query
Dr. Nandita Thakkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor