Taking Loestrin pills.Will medication overdose help in stopping periods?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Birth Control
Question: I just started my period and the doctor told me to start on the loestrin 24 pills. How long will it take to stop my period this month? Can I double the dose to stop it quicker?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Loestrin 24 are low dose pills. You need to take the medicine as prescribed, 1 daily, and you cannot double the dosage. You periods will not stop completely yet but the flow may be reduced eventually.

You should take the dose advised. It may eventually shorten your period. Its basically a birth control pill which works by preventing ovulation.

Mistake in the dosage will not prevent pregnancy.

Hope, this helps to solve your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil