Taking IBset and Colospar for IBS. What are the side effects of prolonged use?

Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Dear Sir, My father has been suffering from IBS for many years now. He has taken iBset and Colospar retard, for three years now. please let us know what are the side effects of IBSet and colospar retard on prolonged use. also, please priscribe ways to reduce medicine intake and eventually stop them.He has been taking IBset and colospar retard for three years twice a day. He has undergone colonoscopy and the report was normal. He is 57 years now.
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 38 hours later
Brief Answer: Please see detailed answer Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX, Thanks for contacting healthcare magic. IBSet is a drug called Ramosteron. It is used for vomitings and for diarrhea predominant IBS. There is not much experience with this drug as it is mainly used in Japan, though it is also available in India. It seems to be a safe drug and there are no major adverse effects. Though few of the common side effects of this drug are abdominal pain, Hard stools, Constipation, bloating, Hepatic dysfunction, reflux esophagitis, decrease in platelet count, Increase in white blood cell count, Duodenal ulcer, Nausea, Vomiting, Proteinurea, Palpitation. I am not sure what other side effects can happen on prolonged use since the experience is not there. Colaspa retard is Mebeverine hydrochloride which is also used for IBS patients. It is also a safe drug. Some of the side effects of this drug are indigestion or heartburn, constipation,dizziness, insomnia (difficulty sleeping), anorexia (loss of appetite), headache, tiredness, slow heart beat, rash and/or itchy skin. Since 1978, 21 cases of severe adverse reactions to mebeverine were reported in the Netherlands. Most reactions consisted of urticaria or maculopapular rash, sometimes accompanied by fever, polyarthritis, thrombopenia or angioedema. I have not ancountered serious side effects with this drug. You can first reduce his dosage to half and then assess his symptoms. If he stays fine, then you can stop one of the drugs completely and continue on the other one. Later you can stop that as well. Best wishes, Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow up: Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 47 minutes later
Dear Sir, Thank you for answering my query.Currently we have reduced the dosage as below: Colaspa retard (before food) - initially taken at morning and night , now taken only at morning. IBSet (after food) - initially taken at morning and night, now taken only at night. He has stopped Digemax completely. He has followed this dosage for 2 days and his bowel movements are normal. He is continuing with yogurt and folvite tablets twice a day as before. Reclide 40 for sugar control and atocor 10 mg for chloestrol control are also taken as usual. Please advise if we can continue with the above drug dosage.
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: It should be fine Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX, This looks fine. Dr Dinesh Singal