Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Taking Eltroxine, Olmetec, Simvastatin, iron and calcium supplements. How to take medications without interaction?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
I need to decide if and how to take my medications. I am perscribed Eltroxine, olmetec, Iron supplment, calcium supplment and sinvastatin. I did after a few moths elavated my iron level but also the TSH. apperantly eltroxine interacts with all the drugs I take. It seems the recomandation is to take it at night time so is for simvastatin. I am not sure what to do should I ask my Doc to change the statin? Should I take Iron and olmetec in the morning, eltroxin at bedtime and maybe statin and calcium somewere in the middle? should I drop the calcium untill my iron levels are back to normal?
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Calcium supplement and simvastatin can be taken together. Calcium more than 300mg can sometimes reduce the absorption of iron. So better to avoid taking them together.Iron and simvastatin can be taken together. Eltroxin shouldnot be taken with all the three.
Most preferred time to take eltroxine is early morning, empty stomach atleast one hour before milk or breakfast. Furthermore there has to be a gap of four hours between eltroxin and either calcium or iron. Actually there are two options in your case.
1. Eltroxin in morning 1 hour before breakfast. Iron after lunch. calcium and statin after dinner.
2. Eltroxin in morning as before. calcium after lunch. Iron and statin after dinner
3. Olmetrack is after breakfast in both the cases.
One more tip- Calcium is best absorbed if given 30 min after food.

Hope I have cleared your doubts
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor