Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Taking Ednone for chronic back pain, taken nerve root injections. Do I need surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10463 Questions
hi i am in extreme pain am on ednone 5mg for chronic back l4 and l5 have had several nerve root injections could i take 10 mg endone to get some relief
please i need help have tried everything dont know what else to do i need surgery but with funding cuts and etc it falls in to catatory 2 which could be 4 or more years as it is i dont have any live to speak of desperate :)
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
If you are having severe chronic back ache not even relieved by steroid injections, then you can increase the dose of your pain killer endone to 10mg. In addition to this, you can get an appropriate muscle relaxant prescribed from your orthopedician.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size will also help to give a good support to your back muscles till you wait for your surgery.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Taking Ednone for chronic back pain, taken nerve root injections. Do I need surgery? 3 days later
i have a 28 year old son with severe depression anxiety and major ocd to the point he only uses a cake of soap once to shower he has so many problems with everything to much to mention is there any medication you could suggest been on things before but not with much success i feel he needs to go on mood stabilizer like epilim and something else just dont know which one would be best for him. It would be nightmare living his life always down and feeling worthless he is my son and i am so sad for him XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
OCD is a type of anxiety that happens when there is a problem with the way the brain deals with normal worrying and doubts. People with OCD usually worry a lot.
Cognitive and behavioural therapies show good response in such cases which you can have in consultation with his psychiatrist.
It is best to start any medication only after proper evaluation by his psychiatrist.
Meanwhile stay connected to him and his friends and ask him to practice relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga, XXXXXXX breathing, etc.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Taking Ednone for chronic back pain, taken nerve root injections. Do I need surgery? 42 hours later
since my last visit to docctor for more repeat precreptions and back pain is still major pain my doctor has put me on 10mg oxycontin tablets controlled release. can i take 3 a day when pain is really pain or just 1 morning and 1 night XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
You can take oxycontin thrice daily in case of severe pain. Otherwise on routine basis, try to restrict the dosage to a twice daily schedule.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor