Taking Dexilant and Lansoprazole. Does aloe always help early Barrett's?

Posted on Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Does aloe always help early Barrett's? I am taking Dexilant now (2days) after taking Lansoprazole DR, which caused more severe crippling pain, this mos. The first month was not bad, but this week was horrible, so for the switch. Also, librax and Zantac TID. I have the ulcers for 3 years by endoscopy, but not the Barrett's. Last week, 1 ulcer-from 3; and segment Barrett's esophagus (on the 2nd endoscopy).
metoplastic cells. I am on a very strict, bland diet, white rice, no spices.
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 4 hours later
Hi XXXX! Thank you for your question and welcome to our site.

I am sorry to hear about your pain and the finding of barrett's esophagus on your endoscopy. The good news is, we can still do something about it and that less than 1% of individuals with Barrett's develop esophageal cancer.

I advise that you talk to your doctor about your current medications. As much as I want to advise you on this, he/she has the advantage of examining you directly and physically aside from knowing your entire medical history. Do not increase your dosages on your own - overdose even from Dexilant can occur. The dosage and length of medications are based on your medical condition and response to treatment and I am sure that your physicians are more capable of doing so.

Proton-pump inhibitors like Dexilant also take more time (a few days) to work as their mechanism of action works by decreasing the production of stomach acids. This is in contrast to our traditional antacids which can neutralize the excess acids a few minutes-hours after intake.

I agree with your diet changes. Some additional advise to help you: Make sure that you avoid fatty foods, chocolate, caffeine, spicy foods, peppermint, alcohol, caffeinated drinks, and cigarette smoking. Do not lie down for 3 hours after a meal and take all medications with plenty of water. If possible, try to reduce excess pounds - individuals who are within their ideal body weight have a decreased risk for acid reflux. Sleep with your head slightly elevated to prevent the acid in your stomach from flowing up into the esophagus.

Lastly, some people with Barrett's also presented with a Helicobacter pylori infection which increases stomach acidity, inflammation and causes ulcers. If you haven't been treated for this, ask your doctor if you can be tested and treated for this.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Let me know if I can help you with any thing else.

Take care!

Dr. Galera

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr