Taking Cipro for ear infection. Causes itching. Is this likely to resolve with current treatment?
Thank you for your query.
1. You need to get a his ear cleaned again to rule out a fungal infection (in addition to a bacterial infection) since there is a cheesy white discharge and intense itching. The better the cleaning, the faster will be the recovery.
2. The neck, jaw and temple pain is refereed pain since there is no apparent cellulitis surrounding the affected ear.
3. I would recommend an ear swab for antibiotic culture and sensitivity.
4. Once the ear heals, the eardrum must be examined to rule out a foreign body or an unsafe ear disease such as a cholesteatoma (also has a cheesy white foul smelling discharge).
5. Painkillers are equally necessary for their anti inflammatory action as they are for pain reduction.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
I described the material removed by irrigation as whiteish and cheesy looking ...the difference was there was no odor associated with it and the intense itching has only presented since the Cipro HC drops have begun to reduce the inflammation in the ear canal. Does this reduce the likelihood of a cholesteatoma?
Thank you for writing back.
1. A Cholesteatoma can only be ruled out if the entire eardrum is visible. A Cholesteatoma has a characteristic fishy odor. There is a new MRI Scan technique for Cholesteatoma that I have co-authored a paper on in December 2011. You may see the abstract at the following link: WWW.WWWW.WW
2. Itching is also a sign of healing similar to the itching that occurs after scabs form on healing wounds. Anti-histamines help control itching.
3. Keratosis Obturans involves a massive build-up of wax and debris in the ear canal with infection. It has to be confirmed and treated (cleaned) under a microscope often under local or general anesthesia as it is very painful.
4. Candida is white in color. Aspergillus has black fungal spores. Both may co-exist leading to the wet newspaper look of the ear debris.
I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for ear infection
- Best treatment for ear infection
- Adult ear infection treatment
- Ear infection ayurveda treatment
- Parrot ear infection treatment
- Treatment and cure for ear infection
- Fungal ear infection treatment
- Suggest treatment for robotic sounds caused by an ear infection
- Ear infection treatment azithral
- Treatment corynebacterium ear infection