Taking Cipro and Metronidazole for diverticulitis. Noticed pink urination. Reason?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Question: My wife is taking Cipro and Metronidazole for diverticulitis (3rd day) and noted pink urination today. She is 69 years old. She has no burning or other urinary discomfort. She is treated for mild hypertension with Lisinopril. She is also a type II diabetic taking glucophage She feels improved on the diverticulitis meds (which she has taken before.) Any suggestions for urgency of followup?
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX'
Pink or red discolouration in urine can be due to medications like -- Daunorubicin or doxorubicin, heparin, ibuprofen, methyldopa, phenothiazines, phenytoin, phenylbutazone, rifampin, Salicylates, senna. Metronidazole will generally cause brown discoloration of urine.

Medicines causing discolouration is not an issue. the only fear is of blood in urine or infection in urine. this can be confirmed by a routine urine examination test of urine.

Sometimes colour of urine can be due to hemoglobinuria and myoglobinuria. But there are related with anemia (low hemoglobin), high bilirubin in blood.

It may be worth doing the above tests to rule out any other cause.

Hope this helps, in case of any further query feel free to ask.