Taking ASA and Atenol. What vitamins are best to take for atrial fibrillation?

Posted on Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What vitamins are best to take for atrial fibrillation. I am going in for advanced Echocardiagram, one month away but am taking Asa 325 mg and Atenol 100mg daily. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 30 minutes later
Dear Sir
None of the vitamins directly have any proven role in treatment or prevention of atrial fibrillation (AF). There are studies in literature which have shown reduction in incidence of post-operative AF with vitamin C supplementation. A few studies have highlighted the role of vitamin E and Vitamin B6 in AF. But none of them has found favor with cardiology fraternity. Last updated 2013 guidelines on management of AF by "american heart association" suggest no role for these vitamins.
One important thing, If you will be started on vitamin K antagonist (a class of blood thinners) for prevention of clot formation in heart due to AF, then you will have to avoid foods XXXXXXX in vitamin K.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX
Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist