Taking 2.5mg bisoprolol. Feeling lightheaded and pounding heart rate with dry eyes. Side effect?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 4 weeks since successful ECV for A-Fib but have been suffering from rotten side effects from 2.5mg bisoprolol including very dry eyes, pounding heart and BPM as low as 44bpm. My GP is not happy to change medication as I have a return visit to Cardiologist in 8 days.
I have noticed that about 3 hours after I take the tablet I feel lightheaded and weird for 2-3 hours and then ok again. I took my blood pressure yesterday at this time and it was 90/55 . I would really like to cut down the tablets a wee bit and am wondering if I tried 3/4 of it would that be ok... this tablet has a half score XXXXXXX but not a quarter and am worried if I cut it again would it somehow affect the way it works? I am also on warfarin and getting on ok with it although I think it has to be stopped if I stay in sinus rythym. My normal reasting heart rate is about 58 (I am not fit!) and my BP is always normal. I just feel these tablets are a liitle too strong but dont want to jeapordize my Sinus Rythym either. Any advice please
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 15 hours later
Thank you for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist.
I read your mail with diligence.
Side effects with 2.5 mg Bisoprolol are rather uncommon but have been described in medical literature. First check you have the tablets of right strength that is 2.5 mg not 5 mg or 10 mg (you can check with pharmacy). I see no reason if you can monitor your heart rate going down to 44 and blood pressure to 90/55 why should you not reduce the total dose. You can use three scored tablet and divide them in way that you have roughly equal 4 parts and to be taken over 4 days. That way minor variation in daily dosage will be neutralized. Do not worry in 8 days time this reduction per se will not be responsible for your loosing sinus rhythm. After that time your cardiologist can take a decision. However, please do this if your GP agrees to it as XXXXXXX is not mandated to take prescription decisions, it can only suggest a way in emergency situations. The decision will have to be taken by your treating doctors. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover