Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Taken medication for twisted ankle, lingering pain and swelling. Cannot walk properly. Not sure about fracture

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
This is regarding a 'sprain' in my ankle. I had twisted my ankle around one and half months back, I had shown it to a general physician. He gave me medication for 2 weeks. The problem is that - even after such a long period, the pain and a little swelling still linger in my ankle. The doc never asked to take an X-ray so I never took one. I am not sure if there is any fracture still, though i can walk properly, but it swells after a little or so exertion.
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 35 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Yes, your doubt is valid . In most cases sprain or muscle or ligament injuries should heal within 6 weeks or so and not give rise to significant pain or swelling .
Since an X-ray was not taken at the time of injury there is no conclusive evidence to rule out a hairline fracture ( which though minor does need immobilization for few weeks).
Infact the ankle / foot is a region where many bones XXXXXXX and even X-ray may sometimes miss a minor fracture if not visualized with expertise .Such case may not be severe enough to cause difficulty in walking but may cause significant swelling and tenderness .
So first and foremost you need to consult an orthopedic surgeon , who can confirm the diagnosis after ordering an X-ray .
If the X-ray shows no fracture and only a doctor might advise appropriate splinting and physiotherapy to cause complete healing of the injured ligament or muscle .
Please do not delay further as in musculoskeletal injuries the earlier the treatment started better is the prognosis and recovery.
Please do not neglect your symptom and get the investigations and appropriate management done under specialist care.
With proper treatment you can achieve complete relief within a month.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor