Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Taken Ofloxacine and ornidazole combination. Can I consume alcohol now?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 2416 Questions
I have taken Ofloxacine and ornidazole combination 200 each. Can I consume little alcohol?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 36 minutes later


Thanks for your query.

Ofloxacin and Ornidazole both are antibiotic used commonly in cases of infective diarrhoea, gastrointestinal infection, like Ornidazole, metronidazole, tinidazole, etc. Ornidazole can react with alcohol dangerously and cause disulfiram like reactions. This reaction can cause symptoms like:-
-Flushing or heated feeling of the skin,
-Increased heart rate,
-Shortness of breath,
-Severe nausea, vomiting,
-Throbbing headache,
-Visual disturbance,
-Mental confusion,
-Postural syncope,
-Circulatory collapse.

Alcohol with Ornidazole can cause really bad reaction and can be life threatening so please do not consume alcohol even in the smallest amount.

Hope this answer is helpful to you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Please accept this answer and close the discussion if you have no further queries.

Take care and Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor