Taken Azithromycin for bronchitis, x-ray showed pneumonia, safe to start new dosage?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I went to a nurse practioner and was diagnosed with Broncitis. She ordered Azithromycin z-pak for 6 days. 250 mg. I then went to another doctor because I wasn't feeling any better. He took an x-ray and said that I have pneumonia. He prescribed 500 mg of Azithromycin for 10 days. I completed the z-pak last Saturday. Is it safe to start to take this new dosage?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
At your age, for complete cure of bronchitis, full dose of azithromycin is needed that is, 500mg once a day for 10 days. The insufficient dosage that you have taken might lead to a recurrence of an infection.
You can start with the antibiotic as advised by your physician. Do add some prebiotic XXXXXXX to your diet so that any side effects on intestinal flora can be prevented.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
It is my understanding that it is safe to take the new dosage of Azithromycin after I have already completed the z-pak on August 4th? That was a 6 day dosage of 250 mg and this 500 mg pill will be taken for 10 additional days.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
Yes you understood me correctly. Azithromycin is very safe and effective antibiotic and can be taken for even 15 days continuously for severe infections.
Please do follow your physician's instructions.
Wishing you an early trouble free recovery. Do accept the answer if there are no further queries.
Regards.