Take cipralex and also clonazepam to wean off fentynal. Does these medicine effect fertility?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: I take .5 clonazepam in the evenings to help me sleep. Sometimes two of them. I also tale a 10mg cipralex In the morning. My wife (age 25) and myself (age 28). Both healthy, I am the only one on meds. The reason for the cipralex and benzo is because I was addicted to a high dose of fentynal and couldn't get happy enough to clean up. I'm clean now for two months and we are curious if the meds I'm on or perhaps the drugs I used to take could effect the fertility or the sperm DNA quality?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Clonazepam/Ciprolex/Trauma to back are criminals Detailed Answer: Hello there! BZDs ( clonazepam) can affect fertility as they cause impotence in upto 5 percent people and decreases sexual drive Libido too. So does the Escitalopram it decreases libido in 8 to 10 % of oleo and result in ejaculation disorders in upto 15 % people. So see your psychiatrist too and consult this issue with them. I am sure they will come up with a replacement plan or some other thing which will be best in your interest. If you need my advise stop these sleep aids and find a better way to sleep. Use bed time book reading proper routine avoid stimulants like caffeine nicotine etc after afternoons and make healthy life style modifications and exercise regularly and see the magic of all that return which you are missing. Besides that I am also worried if the trauma you had following car accident may affect fertility. If you have fertility issues and want to conceive, I would strongly recommend to see the fertility clinics and they will sort out the cause for you while investigating you both for it. Hope you got what you wanted. If you have any more queries, please feel free to ask, other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. I wish you very good luck and take some special care of yourself and i pray that you conceive soon, Regards Dr S Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad