Take cetrizine for itchy fingers and foot?

Dr. Polash Sannigrahi

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: i get my fingers and foot itchy. it subsides once i eat citrizine pls advice
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Either allergic reaction or fungal infection. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to either allergic reaction or fungal infection. Management includes: 1. Keeping the hands and feet dry & avoid too much exposure to water or sweat formation. 2. Antihistamine preparations like cetirizine or Allegra to reduce the itching sensation & provide symptomatic relief. 3. Application of topical antifungal cream like Clotrimazole to tackle the causative organism. 4. Avoid exposure to cold, dust & other allergens 5. Avoid using strong medicated soap without consultation. Your symptoms will be relieved with this. Also avoid wearing tight footwear, as it will cause sweating & predispose to fungal infections. If you wish to put on shoes, then ensure that both the shoes and socks are clean and dry and have been regularly washed. Kindly let us know about the following: 1. Since how many days are you having the symptoms? 2. Does the itching persist consistently or more in certain time of the day or during certain seasons or associated with intake of certain food products? 3. Is there is significant past history of systemic disease like Diabetes, Hypertension, Thyroid disorder, etc. ? 4. Any recent history of Stress, improper nutrition & lack of sleep? 5. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption? A knowledge of the above mentioned facts will help us in making a better diagnosis. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.