Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

TB, pleural thickening, done X-ray, blood test, ESR count. Status of disease?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
I am a 25 year old male suffering from TB from last 6 months. Recent blood tests indicate normal values. ESR Count is 14mm/hr. However X-ray report shows Pleural thickening on left. My doctor advised to continue the tb medicine for 3 more months. Can you please let me know the status of my disease? Is pleural thickening something dangerous? If so, is there anyway to cure it?
Thanks in advance

Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Looking at your history it feels that you are on a recovery path and taking right drugs.

Pleural thickening could be due to Tuberculosis infection itself. Pleural thickening will resolve over period of time with treatment. But, you need to have close follow up with your doctor.

If you don't have any symptoms like chest pain, breathlessness, etc, you need not to worry. Treatment of pleural thickening is considered only if the lung function is affected. Your Physician can monitor the lung function and take the necessary actions accordingly.

Normally in case of pulmonary tuberculosis the treatment is very effective and the duration of 9 months is normally advised.

It is absolutely fine that your doctor has asked you to continue for 3 months more. Please do not worry,things are absolutely fine and there is no need to worry about the thickened pleura.

Your ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate), which is marker for recovery is almost normal and if you are asymptomatic, this suggests that you are doing fine and disease will be cured completely.

I would suggest you to take medicines as advised. Along with the medicines, good diet, specially protein XXXXXXX diet helps a lot in speedy recovery. You should include more of pulses in your diet along with fresh fruits, milk, cheese, eggs etc. in your day to day diet.

I hope this clarifies your doubts.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.


Dr. Pragnesh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: TB, pleural thickening, done X-ray, blood test, ESR count. Status of disease? 16 hours later
Thanks for the clarification.

I am going to Gym from past 2 months. Will there be any adverse effects? Also please suggest me a good diet to gain my lost weight.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

It is good that you are conscious for your health and going to gym for keeping your self fit and fine.Please continue this good habit and there will be no adverse effect because of this.

As far as diet is concerned please take the following things .

1.Sprouted beans like moong,rajma etc daily.
2.Good amount of fruits and salads .
3.Milk and mlik products like cheese,paneer are good.
4.Dry fruits are good and should be taken daily.
5.Eggs .
6.Take 4-5 small to medium servings during the day.

In general take good nutritious diet and avoid junk food and any form of tobacco addiction that you have need to be stopped.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor