Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Swollen right labia minor and slightly bumpy. Bathed with salt, baking soda. Will it aggravate the irritation ?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
Hi my right labia minors is swollen and slightly bumpy, it began yesterday I thought it might be from lace underwear but then i did research and thought it looked a bit like herpes, although only the right labia is affected and I have never had an outbreak on my vagina But i do get cold sores on my mouth sometimes so I applied some of that cold sore cream to my labia last night and popped two tiny blisters ( the dark spits on my right labia) this morning it was worse. I then bathed with salt baking soda and XXXXXXX oil and dabbed witch XXXXXXX on it.. Could I just be aggravating a simple irritation? Or could it be herpes? I was tested negative for stds in January and have been faithful to my partner but not sure about him. Thanks in advance.

I can't seem
Upload the image it fom my iphone it wont let me select a file and also wanted to mention I went to a steam room and sauna and pool.. Wondering if something there caused this.

I managed to upload the photos by coming to my laptop, sorry!

I also wanted to further mention that the top layer of skin has hardened, that could be due to the witch XXXXXXX and concoctions I have been applying, anyhow when it began it just felt like a pain as i I had worn panties that were too tight and twisted my labia or something, then I checked an noticed the swelling and tiny bumps.
I'm very concerned it might be herpese but don't want to jump to any conclusions. Its not itchy just painful I ahve no unusual discharge. My period ended Saturday and that's when I last had intercourse. I work as a flight attendant and on the flight home
I never sit on the seat nd always wash my hands but the handtowels cause extreme dryness and sometimes I use them as wipes.. Am just thinking of all possible causes. I have been off my meds as I have been able to control my Ulcerative colitis with diet. But I took some today to help the swelling, as they are anti inflammatories.. That pretty much sums it up. Am icing right now.
Thank you again.
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 16 hours later

Thanks for writing in detail.

After going through your query and photographs It seems that it is not herpes.

It can be Irritant dermatitis.It can be due to new undergarments, allergy to condoms,soaps , toiletries etc.

Also I would like to know

-Do you have any known allergies/drug allergy?
-Do you had similar complains in past?
-Any history of similar complain in your partner?
-Any medication you have taken recently?
-Any complain of fever /malaise/weakness right now?

Please answer the above questions to advise you better.

Meanwhile you can
-Continue applying cold soaks to area.
-Take ibuprofen tablets for pain . Can take for 2-3 days.
-Apply Hydrocortisone cream over affected area twice daily.
-Avoid using oil/ witch XXXXXXX on the area. It may aggravate the problem.

Hope this helps.

Anticipating your response.

Dr Sudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Swollen right labia minor and slightly bumpy. Bathed with salt, baking soda. Will it aggravate the irritation ? 38 minutes later
Thank you, today it doesn't hurt but the area is still enlarged and hardened., No similar condition on partner and I have never had anything like this before. Can I buy hydrocortisone over the counter? is there any way to reduce the size back to Normal faster?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 minutes later

You can buy hydrocortisone over the counter . Limit the application to twice a day.

Continue cold compresses.

Size should reduce in a weeks time.Dont apply anything else .

If you have any other questions feel free to ask them.

If you are satisfied with the answer please indicate it by rating it at the end.

Dr Sudarshan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor