Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Swollen leg after injury, discoloration of the calf

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
My Dad recently hit his leg with a heavy piece of plywood. He went home and it was swollen, so he iced it and the swelling went down.

Now about a week later his (lower) leg is not swollen quite a bit again.

It hurts when he steps on it and its kind of a black color. He says it also feels like a sac has formed around his calf.

He was in a Motorcycle accident a couple years back and his right leg- the one that got hit- was damaged pretty badly; it was basically turned around.

So needless to say he's had a lot of trouble with his leg because of poor circulation.

We're worried that somethings really wrong with his leg.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 13 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

First lets understand the basic.

When ever there is injury to any part of body ,body reacts to it and leads to swelling and pain,this is a protective natural response.At times due to blow more forceful it can lead to damage to blood vessels in the area. This can lead to some leakage of blood and fluids from it.This can lead to swelling later on.

Immediately after that the blood collected below skin,it is visible red in color,this red color ,changes to purple and black later in about 8-10 days,this occurs due to body putting mechanism in action which clears this dead tissues and healing takes place here.After about 2 weeks the entire process is over and skin regains its natural color.

When you apply immediate ice to the injured part this process becomes slow.

He could be having everything because of this natural process.At times this dead tissues can get infected due to presence of blood in to it and can lead to pain,swelling and difficulty in walking.

In such cases he may need a course of antibiotics along with analgesics to take of this.

It is advisable that you take him to your bony injury seems very less likely.

Again the old injury can add to the problem.Your doctor after examination will give medicines which will help.
In mean time you can continue with tynelol and apply some local analgesic to the part.

I hope this answers your query,I will be glad to answer any follow up queries that you have.

Wishing him a speedy recovery and good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor