Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Swollen labia minora, not itchy, painful. Which antibiotics should I take? High yeast count, low blood sugar

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
hello, I have a swollen labia minora. it is not itchy, but is a bit painful. I have had it before and had some antibiotics and applied fucidin antibiotic cream. I have cleaned the area and applied the cream and am wondering which antibiotics I should take? I am living in thailand and am happy to buy some over the counter. I was also reading that if you have repeat yeast infections you should get a blood sugar test... could you explain why? I have a high yeast count and every time I have a pap smear they tell me I have a yeast infection even though there is no itching or discharge. I treat it with difflucan and probably have around 3 itchy infections a year. I also get low blood sugar and feel very grumpy and unwell if i don't eat regularly. I had a diabetes test a few years ago as I was passing out and it was all fine... any ideas? thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for query.

There could be various reasons for your infection like Bacterial vaginosis, Candidiasis or yeast infection, Trichomonas infection which is a sexually transmitted infection, allergic reactions or chemical irritants like synthetic under wears, tight jeans, prolonged wear of wet swim suit, toilet paper, latex condoms, spermicidal gels etc.

In your case yeast infection looks to be the culprit as you had it on earlier occasions and since it thrives in diabetics you must rule out diabetes.

Consult you gynecologist and get urine culture and vaginal swab done.

I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.

Thanks and best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor