Swollen glands, low grade fever with hot flashes after unprotected sex. Could it be herpes?

Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I was intimate with a guy I had been dating about 10 days ago and it was uprotected. he told me that he was clean. Starting yesterday my glands started swelling and I started to get hot flashes. Today my glands are swollen and I have a low grade fever. Could this be related in any way with the guy I slept with 10 days ago? Would I know by now if I had something like herpes? Would the sores have come along with the fever, etc?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 32 minutes later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears to be related to your recent contact a guy. The history is fever, hot flashes and glands in neck could be because of a viral infection (Infectious mononucleosus or herpes) or bacterial infection. I
would advise you to consult a ENT specialist as you may require examination of neck and throat and some tests to reach the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query
Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it
with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 14 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I should not that I also have had a dry hacking cough and have had it ever since I was treated for a sinus infection in the beginning of December. I called my doctors office on Friday and was told by a nurse to take mucinex d which takes care of the cough until it wears off. Could this also be another option or do you think it is more likely they are not related?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 2 hours later
Hi
Thanks for a follow of query
Mucinex D helps in clearing thick secretions and decongests throat. This will not cause glands in neck or fever. It seems both the things are not related. Sinus infection or dry cough could be a predisposing factor for the present condition but does not appear to cause lymphadenopathy and fever
However I feel a ENT examination and some tests like a sinus x XXXXXXX chest x XXXXXXX and some blood tests will help you in getting on to the right diagnosis.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma