Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Swollen gland under right ear at the back of jaw line. Jaw looks puffy. Glands are tender to touch. Could I take advil?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I have a swollen gland under my right ear at the back of my jaw line. My jaw looks a bit puffy now. During the day it was just annoying and I thought perhaps I had chewed something too hard, but now it is a bit more painful. I have had swollen glands in the past--only occasionally--but never back here. It is tender to the touch.
Is taking Advil okay? I will call my doctor tomorrow. Should I use a compress of some kind?
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

The place which you are decribing has lymphnodes. Now there are multiple lymphnodes around tha area. One behind the ears at the angle of jaw, a couple of them along the lower border of jaw and some below the chin.
Anykind of inflamation around the throat causes them to become swollen and tender. They protect you by fighting with the infections.
The other ppossibility is parotid glad inflamtion which is also present behind the ear and angle of jaw and cause swelling over cheek.
At present you can use advil. You can use paracetamol 500 mg twice a day. You can give some hot compreses. If the swelling and pain persists beyond 2 days then the area needs to be inspected Nd probably antibiotic like cefexime will need to be added.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor