Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Swollen genital region, getting mild fever, loss of appetite. Chances of yeast infection. Any home treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
my 30 yr. old son finally showed me his genital region after about 5 days of extreme discomfort. It hurts him badly to walk-he's raw. His whole outer genital region is swollen at least twice its size so as to hide the penis and the skin is beet red with small weepy blisters and a couple of dime sized pustules. It has been 90-100 degrees the past couple of wks and what came to my mind was a yeast infection. He did get a boil on the upper thigh near the genitals about a week ago-but that may be unrelated. He's also been drinking pop constantly. There doesn't seem to be any fever, but he has been getting indigestion more than usualk and has a loss of appetite. He is also obese and very fleshy there, but he is an extremely clean person and showers daily. He has been alternating with triple antiubiotic ointment and monostat the last couple of days and says he thinks the sores are coming to head and he might be getting better. He';s hesitant to goi to the hospital because he's unemployed and has no healkth coverage. What could this be and what can I do for it at home? He is sexually celebate and has been for years-so there's no chance it's an STD.
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
We could be looking at a bacterial or a fungal infection here. This needs to be taken care of quickly. He does need to see a physician and get a course of oral antibiotics like amoxicillin clavulanate and metronidazole prescribed.
In addition, the area needs to kept clean and dry ( so wash atleast 2-3 times daily with an antibacterial soap) and an antibacterial and anti fungal dusting powder should be used. He should be using both the Monistat and the triple antibiotic cream together.
also, warm compresses will help drain the pus. He should be wearing only cotton underclothes as it will allow the skin to breathe. also, Tablet Motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required ( upto 4 tablets daily) will help reduce the swelling and the redness.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Swollen genital region, getting mild fever, loss of appetite. Chances of yeast infection. Any home treatment? 8 hours later
thank you very much-we'll be seeing Dr. tomarrow. What should be done as a daily routine to keep this from reoccurring? Now as I recall, he was prone to yeast infection as a baby and constant diaper rash-he must have sensitive skin. Should he use antibacterial shower wash and stay away from fragrance? What powder is best used down there after shower?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
There are a couple of things he needs to do.
a. The area needs to be washed with cetaphil and water 2-3 times a day. Subsequently it needs to be dried very well. This way we would not irritate the skin while keeping it clean.
b. For routine use, any ordinary powder can be used as our only aim is to keep it dry.
c. An anti bacterial shower wash may be a good idea just once a day. Stayin away from fragrance is a definite yes for people with sensitive skin.
d. I would like to stress that he needs to lose weight. Obesity is not just a risk factor for infections in the genital region ( due to the constant friction), it has several other risks as well. He also needs to be screened for diabetes. A fasting blood sugar and a post prandial blood sugar( sample needs to be given 2 hours after a meal) would be required.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you have any more questions.
I'll be happy to help
If you do not have any more questions, please close this discussion and rate the answers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor