Swollen foreskin and pus filled bumps on penis head. Hurts during intercourse. What's wrong?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: white filled pus bumps on my penis head. swollen foreskin. And it hurts during sex what whould it be. Never had any stds before. Had the same sex partner for just over 3 months
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Foreskin swelling can be a symptom of phimosis, paraphimosis, or balanitis. There are a number of factors that can cause or contribute to swelling of the foreskin, including infection, poor hygiene, contact dermatitis, and sexual activity. Foreskin swelling doesn't always require treatment, but it can, in some cases, constitute a genuine medical emergency. Swelling of the foreskin affects mostly uncircumcised men and boys.

Given your description (and history of single sex partner for 3 months), the white filled pus bumps and swelling signify infection.

What to do now? Abstain from sex as soon as treatment is started. Get tested for STDs (as they could have been dormant on your present sex partner and you get infected later by her). Culturing the pus samples can help us to isolate the causative organisms. Visit your doctor for proper review and subsequent treatment.

In the interim maintain proper personal hygiene.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need other clarifications.

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 18 hours later
Is there something over the counter I can take Untill I go see me doctor?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later

Not sure if in your area, you are allowed to get antibiotics from over-the-counter. Also not advisable to take antibiotics while we are not sure of what we are actually sick of (i.e type of STD). So, i do suggest you see the doctor first before being placed on drugs. But the usual drugs for STDs are shots (penicillin, cephalosporin etc), oral drugs such as doxycycline, azithromycin( z-pak), flouroquinolones such as levofloxacin, ofloxacin etc, imidazoles etc etc. Most antibiotics are prescription drugs and I am sure your local pharmacist might be able to assist after sending you to a doctor first.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah