Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Swollen eyelid, blood in the corner of eyes. Is this something serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 117 Questions
I woke up with slightly swollen eyelid that bled into the corner of my eye (looks like a black eye). No pain. Who should I see, and is this an emergency?
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Naseem 2 hours later
Hi there. Thanks for posting your query here.

The symptom you describe sounds like a haematoma of the eyelid. If there is some redness in the eye as well that would be a subconjunctival bleed. These are typically less serious than they look.

If this is, the first time this happened and there is no problem with your vision, there is no cause to worry.

Try ice packs on the area with the eye closed and start a course of vitamin C to help resorption that typically takes 4 to 7 days to go away based on how severe it is.

These conditions develop when there is some mild injury to the area, common during sleep and a subconjunctival bleed is often seen during an episode of violent coughing, constipation and lifting heavy weights.
All you need to do is wait and it will subside.

Do revert with anything more I can help you with.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor