Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Swollen arm, no blood flow, cannot put ring on and shoe is tight.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Hi, I have been waking up in the middle of the night with a swollen right arm. It feels like I'm not getting blood flow. Then I wake up in the morning and can't put my ring on and also my shoe was tight on the right side!
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 49 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query .
Swelling of half side of a body suddenly can be due to compression of blood vessels draining that part, or a lymphatic swelling both of which can be caused by many causes like infection, any cardiovascular problem or a mass i.e space occupying lesion causing compression or a spinal cord problem or rarely due to systemic disease like hypertension, diabetes or kidney disorder in which case it is not one sided.
Now for exact diagnosis one needs a detailed history, a thorough clinical examination and some tests if need arises, like blood counts, renal and hepatic profiles.
If you have no other findings except this swelling of arm and it recurs only after you sleep at night then it might be just compression of vessels due to wrong sleep posture like lying on one side.
If the swelling decreases after you get up and move about then it doesn't seem worrisome, you just need to sleep supine.
But if you have any other illness like blood pressure, diabetes, any bony or soft tissue lesion, fever, urinary complaints or if the swelling is painful or persistent or recurrent then I would advise you to consult your physician for early diagnosis and treatment.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor