Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Swollen and bruised knee. X-ray showed fibula fracture. What should be done?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I went for a X-ray today as my left knee is swollen and bruised on my X-ray you can clearly see a crack in the top part of my fibula after a doctor saying its strange but then changing his mind after he knew the doctor who signed it off.the main reason for my X-ray was to look at my knee should the doctor of reported the crack
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

I have gone through the xray attached with the query. Although it is not very clear, there is a possibility of fracture neck of fibula.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician to see any other injury at knee, any distal neurovascular defict, so that an accurate diagnosis can be made. You may get immobilization in plaster cast for 3-4 weeks under his/her guidance.

Hope this information helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Swollen and bruised knee. X-ray showed fibula fracture. What should be done? 24 minutes later
Thankyou for getting back to me shouldn't the doctor who wrote the results for my X-ray picked up on it or do they only look at what the doctor has asked to be examend
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.

As I had said that x-ray is of not good quality, so the line which is seen at upper end of fibula could be an artifact or a fracture. So both xray and clinical finding should be corealated. So I advice you to consult your treating doctor. He or she may advice you for a repeat x-ray.

Hope this helps and you recover soon.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor