Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Swelling on mons pubis, in left labia region. Causes ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12553 Questions
i have a swelling on the right side of mons pubis. i am female
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

A swelling on the right side of mons pubis could be any of three general possibilities.

The first consideration is - lymph node. There is a cluster of lymph nodes in the groin which can become inflamed in response to some kind of infection. If you have any symptoms of infection in general including fever, pain with urination, or vaginal discharge this could trigger lymph node swelling.

A lot of causes can be ruled out by physical examination of the swelling.

The second possibility is that this could be a small infected sebaceous cyst. This is triggered by an ingrown hair which causes an infection and the infection progresses somewhat until pus accumulates under the skin. These can be quite painful and sometimes are treated with antibiotics or even a small procedure where the cyst is drained surgically.

The last possibility would be a hernia. These tend to be larger and are caused by a small weakness in the abdominal wall which allows for part of the bowels to push through creating a palpable lump.

To find out the exact cause, a clinical examination is a must.

You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Gynecologist'.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer them.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Swelling on mons pubis, in left labia region. Causes ? 7 minutes later
hi and thanks for the answer. the swelling is actually on the right lavia rather than the top
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

The swelling of labia can be due to infected bartholin's gland, sebaceous cyst, vulvovaginitis due to allergy or rough intercourse.

You can use an antibiotic ointment like bacitracin or neosporin with 1% hydrocortisone ointment for relief.

If there is pain or fever or vaginal discharge or the symptoms do not improve then you might need prescription antibiotics.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor