Swelling in arm occurred after SYR booster vaccination. Side effect?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Vaccinations
Question: my granddaughter had SYR Booster yesterday and now her arm is swollen and I Red hot to the touch it is a blotchy Patch working its way downward. have raised three children one had reaction but not like this almost like spider bite . it is also hard as a rock which tells me that it was not rubbed out after injection could the medication be over reacting in the area ?Anything besides heat or cold rotation which have already done.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Welcome e to XXXXXXX

The reactions to vaccination vary and each chid reacts in a different way.
If the swelling occurred immediately after the vaccination it is an allergic reaction .
If it happens after 2-3 days we have to think of infection or immune reaction .

For the time being what you are doing is correct.
If the child has pain you can give some tyelenol Evey 6 hrs

Also please get back to the clinic which gave the vaccination as you say it is hot and spreading ,so that thy can evaluate by seeing.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma