Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Swallowed toothpick. Feeling discomfort in lower throat area. Feeling painful. Should I see a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
i swallowed a toothpick last night. 54 yrs. very healthy. It's 3:51 pm now. I've been feeling something in the lower throat but has moved to the area just under the callor bone and top of the ribs. Tried throwing up, drinking milk and other thick fluids last night. Did the same this morning. I ate a few things adn have been drinking a ton of water to help it go down. Don't know if the feeling is my imagination playing me, but I do feel something in that area whenever I swallow. No sharp or painful feeling. Just a feeling like when you get food stuck. Shall I "wait and see?" The ER has a 4 hour wait. I don't want to go just to have the doctor say "lets wait and see." Do you recommend anything I can eat/drink to help it move down?
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ER is the only best option

Detailed Answer:

Tooth pick since has a sharp end can be very XXXXXXX as it can cause perforations.

I strongly recommend you to rush to ER or any near by doctor to get relevant tests if necessary an endoscopy to remove the stick while it is still in the stomach. If it enters the intestines it would become impossible to access or remove it.

There is nothing you could do at home to get it out.

Please do rush to the ER now.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor