Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Swallowed large tortilla chip and struck in throat. Any permanent damage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12536 Questions
I swallowed a large tortilla chip,,It got stuck and hurt really bad until I finally felt it go down..could there be permanent damage?..could my esophogus be bleeding?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
The tortilla chip that you had is likely to be stuck in the lower pharynx and not esophagus. Esophagus is a flexible tube and is not likely to get damaged with such a food item.
The pointed end of the tortilla chip might have caused a superficial injury to the area. But any permanent damage to the area is not likely.
You can have a XXXXXXX warm water to soothe the area and avoid hot and spicy food for a few days to decrease any irritation and to allow the area to heal well.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor