Swallowed chicken bone. Started coughing, vomiting and have sore throat. Anything serious?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: my son swallowed a chicken bone tonight, coughing, threw up. He didn't look to see if the bone was in vomit. His throat is sore. What do you advise? I want to take him to ER for Xray.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

There are some questions for you?
1) Is he still coughing?
2) Is he having trouble in breathing?
3) Is there any blood in the cough?

If any one of the answers is yes take him immediately to the ER and get him X XXXXXXX ed. Kindly take the advice of an ENT surgeon if it warrants removal.

If none of the aforementioned symptoms are associated, the soreness could just be localised inflammation which will settle down quickly in few days. Saline gargles can fasten the recovery. And paracetamol can reduce pain until recovery.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad