Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Swallowed a large piece of apple. Now have pain in breastbone area and sore to touch. How to get relief?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
I accidently swallowed a large piece of a peeled XXXXXXX on Monday, it felt like it got stuck below my breastbone area, its sore to the touch. I can eat and drink but do not feel well. I think its still trying to digest above the spincter muscle, how can I speed this up to get it in the stomach.
i have tried hot tea and water. Alos have tried eating pineapple and papya enzyme pills.
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 19 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Food pipe (also called as Esophagus) is a XXXXXXX organ, not a superficial organ.
Ingestion of large piece of XXXXXXX may get impacted in the esophagus (although this possibility is also very less) or may cause damage to esophagus but never causes pain at breastbone.
There could be possibility of localized muscle injury/ spasm hurting you till now.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for endoscopy for better clarification of food pipe status.
If XXXXXXX piece is still suck in the esophagus, it can be removed or a better way is to push it inside the stomach.
Spasm of esophagus gets cures itself within 2-3 days.
You should take liquids to avoid further injury in food pipe.
Put your queries if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor