Swallowed a large piece of apple. Now have pain in breastbone area and sore to touch. How to get relief?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I accidently swallowed a large piece of a peeled XXXXXXX on Monday, it felt like it got stuck below my breastbone area, its sore to the touch. I can eat and drink but do not feel well. I think its still trying to digest above the spincter muscle, how can I speed this up to get it in the stomach.
i have tried hot tea and water. Alos have tried eating pineapple and papya enzyme pills.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 19 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Food pipe (also called as Esophagus) is a XXXXXXX organ, not a superficial organ.
Ingestion of large piece of XXXXXXX may get impacted in the esophagus (although this possibility is also very less) or may cause damage to esophagus but never causes pain at breastbone.
There could be possibility of localized muscle injury/ spasm hurting you till now.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for endoscopy for better clarification of food pipe status.
If XXXXXXX piece is still suck in the esophagus, it can be removed or a better way is to push it inside the stomach.
Spasm of esophagus gets cures itself within 2-3 days.
You should take liquids to avoid further injury in food pipe.
Put your queries if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava