Sustained cranial and vestibular concussion. Taking vestibular therapy. Suffer nausea, stiff neck and headache. Suggestions?

Dr. Pratap VGM

Diabetologist

Posted on Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Dr. I sustained a cranial and vestibular concussion in Feb 2013. I have been taking vestibular therapy, but to no avail. I suffer from nausea 100 % of the day, have trouble eye tracking, everything moves up and down and from side to side. I can feel my eyes jerking and constantly try to keep things still in my vision...resulting in a major stiff neck with headaches, nausea/motion sickness and also have bouts of clammy sweat breaks when the nausea hits and then bouts of chills. I visited Panama Setpt 2012 and am wondering if I have picked up something in addition to the concussion symptoms that are getting worse. I have been off work since the accident in Feb 2013 where I hit my left temple running into an unseen floating staircase in the dark. I would welcome your suggestions. My doctor has recently put me on an antidepressant and a sleeping pill but still I spend most of the day in bed trying to get relief. Early on I had a CT Scan, MRI, saw a neurologist early on and was told it will just take time. It has been 9 months now and I feel that I am getting worse, not any better what so ever. I aam waiting to see a Neuropsychologist at UBC to see if they can help me further. I have also started some Cranial Sacral therapy/manipulation for the multiple concussion I have sustained over the years. I look forward to your reply. thank you. XXXXX.

I had bloodwork done last week and my B12 level was low so have started injections 1/week for that. There were slightly raised liver enzymes and slightly enlarged red blood cells. Otherwise tests for hpylori from a previous ulcer were nornal and everthing else other that projesterone normal (I take projesterone nightly). So blood work is sort of o.k. and that was from this past week if this information helps. Thank you again for your support and advice Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
low methylcobalamine levels

Detailed Answer:

Low levels of vitamin b 12 causes megaloblastic anemia. Which has properties of large red blood cells with anemic blood picture

Usually low vitamin b12 levels causes gastrointestinal problems with malabsorption.

You can take vitamin b12 injections every alternate or 3 days once regulaRly 5 to 6 injections

Hope information is helpful.

Thanks,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Pratap VGM 41 hours later
thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Your advice is exactly what my family doctor has begun with the Vitamin B12 injections once per week. I am still very fatiqued and still sleeping most of the day. Up at around 12 noon and then back to sleep by 2pm for several hours. Until bedtime around 10 when I will the sleep for 10 to 12 hours....feels like sleeping sickness...whatever that is I remember hearing about as a child. My brain and body simply shut down and I have to lay down and sleep. It is quite weird. I wake up tired and yawning for a long time. Hpylori from a recent ulcrer proved normal.

Would the results fom my recent blood tests lend any hints to any other concerns especially with the dizziness and nausea from the concussion and the visual tracking problems. My iron level was on the high side., red blood cells enlarged, B12 deficiency, liver enzymes slightly elevated. have started on the B12 injections which will be weekly now ad projesterone daily along with apo-nadol and apo hydro for hbp...

My biggest concern is the fatigue and having to sleep AGAIN after just a few hour after rising...for at least anoter 3 hours. Something is wrong with that. and of course the ongoing multiple vision which I try to sort out but it is very very difficult to try and focus anything in my world throught the day. I feel sea sick 90 percentof the day...with no relief other than lying down with my eyes closed ad trying t0 sleep
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
investigations

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir

Even excessive supplementation of vitamins causes drowsines
Pleas take injections and tablets for certain period of time. If it does not work for you then dont continue it.
Instead of vitamin b12 try to supplement with panax ginseng, garlic extRact and flavonoids with arginine and methionine amino acids. These helps to keep a person active.

If you still not got relief then you are adviced to get ct scan done and review.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D