Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Suspected to have OCD or ADHD. On zoloft for anxiety but no help. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1197 Questions
I am a 63 yr old white female who suspects I may have some form of OCD or ADHD. How would I fine a physician who could treat me and prescribe correct medication for me? I am currently on Zoloft for over 15 yrs but this doesn't seem to be effective in my anxiety.
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 34 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through you past medical history as given.
1955 (tonsils);
2010 (back surgery);
2011 (deviated septum);
2008 (gastric bypass);
2010 (thyroidectomy);

It is significant to take note that you have been taking Zoloft which contains Sertraline. Sertraline is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. Sertraline works well in treating OCD, panic and anxiety disorders in both in adults and children.

I suppose you were put on Zololoft after a complete evaluation by your doctor 15 years back. There are instances where patients develop tolerance to medications like SSRIs after a while and under medical supervision, after analyzing your symptoms, your medications might be reviewed.

With special emphasis on OCD, sertraline dosage might need assessment in your case. Often combination of Cognitive behavioral therapy and SSRIs work better for OCDs.

In treatment of panic disorders, Sertraline has an effect comparable with the newer drugs like paroxetine or alprazolam. As for social phobia and anxiety, the combination of sertraline and exposure therapy appears to respond faster than with Sertraline alone.

I suggest you should review your symptoms regarding OCD and ADHD and get yourself analyzed in detail by a psychiatrist to come to a current diagnosis. There are many treatment choices, some involving combination of medications and behavior therapy which can be helpful to you.

Hope your query is answered.
Should there be any further query, please feel free to ask.

Dr A Rao Kavoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor