Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Suspected to have ADD. How to diagnose the disease?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 632 Questions
Hello. I think that my Grand son may have ADD and I dont know how to proceed. He is 23 years old so I have to proceed with sensitivity
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 15 minutes later
Thanks for your query. ADD or attention deficit disorder is a predominantly adolescent onset disorder characterised by inattention hyperactivity and impulsivity. It can persist into adulthood referred to as adult ADD. However a definitive diagnosis is possible only after a thorough psychiatric evaluation and application of relevant questionnaires. Hence you can contact your psychiatrist for evaluation. The other conditions that need to be ruled out include bipolar disorder and personality disorders as they can mimic ADD. Appropriate management can be planned only after clinching the diagnosis. You can take him to a psychiatrist in some other pretext. Wish him speedy recovery.
Dr Sundar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Child Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor