Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Suspect to have UTI. What pathological test should i get conducted to confirm if for UTI?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14995 Questions
i think i have UTI. what can i do to get better?
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Urinary tract infections are more common in women than men because of the urethra (where the urine passes out) and the anus (where stool passes) are closer in women.

The symptoms are passing urine frequently, discomfort or burning on urination, fever, abdominal pain, abnormal smell to the urine or abnormal colour.

It is diagnosed based on the presence of these symptoms, urine dipstick test in an office which would evidence of infection. Urine is also sent to the lab to find out exactly which bacteria is causing the infection though there are some bacteria that are more commonly found.

Treatment involves the use of alot of fluids to flush the bacteria, cranberry juice and antibiotics. The most commonly used antibiotics are bactrim, amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin.

To prevent recurrence women who are sexually active should empty the bladder before and after intimacy so that there is no urine present to be contaminated.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suspect to have UTI. What pathological test should i get conducted to confirm if for UTI? 11 minutes later
what pathalogical test shuld i get conducted to confirm if i have uti? and i am from inda so which antibiotics shuld i take? and what will be the dosage ? is there anything i can do to ease the burning at home asap?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 40 minutes later

The test is a urine culture which is sent to the lab. Your doctor will give put the urine in a specific container to go the lab.
The lab will identify the bacteria under the microscope and culture the urine to find out which antibiotics it is responsive to and which ones it is resistant.

Normally antibiotics are started before the result is back and are only changed if the person does not respond to the medication.

There are different antibiotics that can be used as mentioned: amoxicillin would be 500mg 3 times daily for 7 days

Bactrim would be 2 tablets twice daily for 10 to 14 days

Ciprofloxacin has different formats, the dose varies from 250mg taken twice a day. There is also an extended release format (released slowly in the blood)- this is taken 500mg once a day

Ofloxacin is taken 200mg twice a day.

There are also other antibiotics that can be used, these are just a few of them

These medications are available worldwide and should be available in your home.

In terms of home remedies you can try the use of a pain killer such as paracetamol or ibuprofen. It would not treat the infection but would help with the pain.

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor