Surgery on elbow done. Found itching, redness and mild secretion in stitch area. Infection?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: I had surgery on my elbow 10 days ago. I had my dressing removal appointment 2 days ago. All was well.
Now my stitch area is reddish and itching. Should I be concerned with infection?
Minor secretion.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 12 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the symptoms like itching, redness, mild secretion all indicates early stage of inflammatory changes due to infection.

As it was an orthopedic surgery, you should be cautious. Consult with your treating doctor for clinical examination. If required, the secretion can be sent for microbiological examination and culture and sensitivity test.

But, a course of broad spectrum antibiotic should be started to prevent any future complications.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.