Surgery for large epigastric hernia to be done. How long will it take to heal?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: I have a large epigastric hernia that requres surgery and mesh. In 28 days I am moving frm NZ to live in the Philippines. Do you think say 24 days is sufficient recovery time before that trip?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, 24 days should be enough to have a wound healed and for the pain after the surgery to go away. Of course if there wont be any complications like wound infection or hernia recur. You should also remember that it takes even a year for complete scar tissue creation. It is advisable to do not lift any heavy objects in a 3 months after such surgery.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
I am wondering if the pain level will be high. As it is only the skin and muscle that has nerves I am hoping the level will only be moderate. What should I expect?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

In some abdominal hernias there is a need of abdominal opening. This means the peritoneum should be also incised. And this tissue can cause much more pain than any other tissue (this is some kind of pain protection of the abdomen). The pain is mild in the first day after the surgery (nowadays we have so many pain killers that you should not find it disturbing) and usually it goes away in a week or so. So you should not worry about it at all. Generally after such surgeries, the nex day after it is a discharge day.

Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
OK, thank you very much. I just now need to get over my terror of anesthetics and I will be fine. You have reassured me a lot.
People tell me I should stop smoking for a couple of days prior to anesthetic, is that advisable?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later
Hello!

If you do smoke, couple of days wont change anything. Moreover, it can have negative impact for anesthesia if you suddenly stop smoking before the procedure. You need to know that when smoking for years, you make your nervous system receptors addicted to nicotine. If you try to stop smoking it will be kind of hard stress for your body. Anesthesia and surgery is another one hard stress for human body. So combining dose two stresses, your body may find it too hard to deal with it.
You should rather gradually stop smoking after the surgery.

Regards.