Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Surgery feasible for stable and less vitiligo patches on upper body? Whom to consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
hi, my vitiligo patches are stable for more than 5 years and exist only on left side of upper body.patch area is very less can i resort to surgical options ,if yes whom shall i consult.kindly guide me on facilities in south india.i am a resident of kerala state
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 5 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

Since you have a stable vitiligo patch and that too which is small, you can go for a surgery.

There are different types of surgery which can be done in such cases. They are as follows:
1) Punch grafting
2) Split thickness grafting
3) Non-cultured melanocyte transplantation

Non-cultured melanocyte transplantation is the latest of the three. In India there are very few doctors who are performing this surgery, and I am happy to say that a Dermatologist friend of mine in Calicut is performing this surgery. So if needed you can contact him.

Apart from him, you can even contact any Government Medical College (skin department) for the guidance and surgery, but I am not sure whether they would be doing melanocyte transplantation. The result of this surgery is far better than the other two surgeries.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor