Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Surgery done on arm to replace a steel plate that had broken. Noticed redness around it. Allergic to metal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 2202 Questions
my mom is 85 years old had surgery done on her upper left arm to replace a steel plate that had broken . the surgery was done six months ago but now her arm has a red spot about 4 inches around on it and her arm is swollen and hurts really bad could she be allergic to the metal in her arm
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 49 minutes later
As steel plate is a metal and foreign body ,it can get infected.If pus is collected at the site of the metal,it will track to the skin and come out through an opening.So,she has to be checked for any evidence of infection.
The red spot may not be due to allergy,but may be due to infection.
If the infection is superficial due to skin problem,it will get relieved with antibiotic and antiinflammatory drug.
If it is due to deep seated infection,it has to be treated by her orthopaedician.
First,you can try with good antibiotic like Cefuroxime with potassium clauvulanate and anti inflammatory drug.
If there is no response,consult your doctor and get an X XXXXXXX and ultrasound of the left upper arm.
If you come back with above reports,i will clarify further.
Nothing to worry
Wish her good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sports Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor