Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Surgery done for severe penile fracture, tearing both tunica and the urethra. Could it be during horseplay?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 442 Questions
My boyfriend recently suffered a severe penile fracture, tearing both tunica and the urethra. He had emergency surgery to repair. He claims this injury happened during horseplay with a buddy in which they were play fighting and that he was punched in the groin. I have done extensive research on the web and have found nothing to support his claims that this is even possible. Is it possible to get such a severe injury from play fighting? Or is the answer much mire obvious?
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, it possible to get severe penile fracture, tearing both tunica and the urethra from play fighting, provided the blow to the penis is sufficiently powerful enough.

Blunt trauma is the cause of a majority of penile fracture cases.

Though it most commonly occurs when the patient is in a state of sexual arousal and is struck on the penis in such a way that it bends abnormally so penile fractures usually happens during overly-rough intercourse. However, a sudden and powerful blow to the penis during playing, fighting or physical accident can cause a tear in the tunica albuginea and the urethra both.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sourav Ganguly
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor