Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Surgery done for cervical cyst. Started growing again and causing pain. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 632 Questions
I am a 66-year old woman. About 15 years ago a surgeon tried to remove what he referred to as a fibrous cyst on the back of my neck to the right side of the cervical spine. He became frustrated during surgery because parts of the cyst were intertwined with other tissues and he did not have time to mess around removing them all. So he stitched me up and said he could not get it all. He said it would probably grow back but it was nothing to worry about. Well, it has grown back and now it is causing pain wen I turn my head. What kind of a surgeon should I call to attempt to have it removed? As far as I can tell, the cyst is about 2-incdhes in diameter and protrudes out about 2 centimeters. XXXXXXX
Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 11 minutes later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with the cervical cyst which is causing pain now due to regrowth even after surgery and removal. What i suggest you would be to XXXXXXX a head and neck surgeon (Many of the ENT specialists are trained in head and neck surgery). They should be in a position to help it out. On occasions, due to lack of surgical skill and on other occasions due to reasons like major blood vessels or nerves in the vicinity, the surgery may remain incomplete leading to regrowth later on. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Surgery done for cervical cyst. Started growing again and causing pain. What to do? 9 minutes later
The head and neck surgeons are ENT people and don't usually deal with the back of the neck. Is there a specialty that deals specifically with such cysts?
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 10 minutes later
Usually general surgeons are expected to deal with cysts at the back of neck. However, if the cyst is located close to the spine, assistance of a neurosurgeon is recommended.
Dr Sundar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor