Owl Image

Surgery done for carcinoma breast. Having cough. What could be causing this?

Owl Image
Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Question
my wife is a patient of carcinoma breast she has completed surgery, radiation and chemotherapy and one year of herceptin. she is having dry cough and fever for last 8 days, her esr test shows 110, chest x-ray report will come tommorow. what can be the reasons.
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 43 minutes later
The symptoms of the patient suggest a long term fever for more than a week, then some more tests need to be done. Her ESR is raised suggesting that infection is present.But repeat some blood tests like CBC, platelets,widal test, dengue antigen and malarial antigen,urine culture. Her chest xray should rule out pneumonia. I believe that antibiotics need to be started.So do the above tests and consult a doctor with the reports. As it is,her immunity is low due to the cancer treatment so dont neglect these tests.

Follow-up: Surgery done for carcinoma breast. Having cough. What could be causing this? 1 hour later
cbc, widal test, dengue and malaria antegen test is already done and no abnormality found. chest x-ray report will come tommorow

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Well,in that case,the chest film will show if there is any infection.Either ways,antibiotics will need to be started as fever indicates an infection.

Follow-up: Surgery done for carcinoma breast. Having cough. What could be causing this? 2 days later
x-ray is clear , augmentin 1000mg twice daily started along with sime cogh medicines.review on thursday.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Thats good.Antibiotics were needed here and Augmentin is a good choice.Takr steam inhalation also.