Supra ventricular tachycardia, high pulse rate, palpitations. ECG normal. Family history of SVT. Treatment for rhythm disorders?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Hi, Im 34 with no past heart problems, when i was pregnant with my second baby i developed what is thought to be svt (it was never caught on a monitor) and i was discharged from the cardiologist 3 months after my baby was born with the hope things would settle. I now 11 months later still get a couple of short but frightening episodes a month, my pulse is around 150 bpm and episodes start after an eptopic beat and last about 40 secs. My ecg is im told normal however i have seen the computer comment as short pr interval on a couple of the ones when i was pregnant. My daughter is now 11 months old and i have noticed a few times her chest pounding so fast i could never count it. She is not crying or crawling around when this happens and im now obviously concerned she has svt ( even when she is crying i dont notice it pounding that fast). She has no symptoms with it and even drank her milk happily when it was pounding this morning, Im aware due to my history i may be overaware of her heart beat and i try to tell myself than it could be emotion that makes her heart go up, such as the anticipation of watchig me make her milk. She is to wriggly to see if it stops suddenly but it only lasts a miniute or so. My main concern is that she has svt or wolf parkinson white as i know this can be passed on. I was cocfused by the cardiologist i saw during pregnancy as he said i dont have wpw unless its concealed which he said is not as bad anyway.Should i be concerned about my daughter, im worried if i take her to the gp he will think im being overanxious (which i hope i am). many thanks Rachel
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
The normal heart rate in children is higher than adults. Noticeable occasional palpitation in your daughter could be physiological also.
Even if it is due to SVT ( Supra ventricular tachycardia ) or premature ventricular contractions, it can occur in young healthy individuals without any heart disease.
Dehydration or electrolyte disturbances can also cause such symptoms.
There is no harm in consulting her pediatrician for a complete evaluation. You can fix an appointment and get her examined and properly investigated.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T