Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Sunburn on face with red spots, dry. Like eczema. Is it fungal? Why isn't face normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
i saw a dematologist cause i thought it was sunburn on my face it was red spots really dry almost look like ezemia i was told it was fungi so i was given miconazole 2% it cleared in a few days but returned shortly after i cant seem to get my face right what can i use or what is it?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Tinea faciei or ringworm of the face is not a common site of fungal infection and often has an unusual presentation that mimics other skin conditions or rashes. This fungal infection may be contracted from dogs, cats, horses and cattle.
Recurrent fungal infections can be a marker of an underlying illness like diabetes or immunocompromised state.
People who perspire freely or work in a hot or humid environment are more at risk of having a fungal infection of the skin.
The diagnosis is often made on the basis of the location and appearance of the lesions, but in more difficult cases, or in cases that do not respond to therapy, the fungal lesions may be scraped and cultured and examined microscopically and/or under fluorescent light.
Treatment of fungal infections can be topical ointments like miconazole as well as oral antifungal drugs like griseofulvin or fluconazole.
It is advisable that you consult your dermatologist for confirming the diagnosis as well as ruling out the underlying cause so that apropriate treatment can be started.
Meanwhile you should avoid applying any oil based cosmetics for prolonged time on your face and maintain good hygiene.
Also a healthy diet and lifestyle will help prevent recurrences.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor