Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Sunburn feeling,severe muscle spasm,painful,sensitive to touch on top right side of abdomen. Reason?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12678 Questions
Several months ago i started getting a "sunburn" like feeling on the top right side of abdomen. It kind of came and went. Now about two weeks ago while getting out of bed as i flexed my abdominal muscles i developed what appeared to be a sever muscle spasm in that same location. It was horribly painful and my stomach just below the rib cage and slightly to the right protruded out a good 2 inches in what appeared to be an unusual muscle spasm. It took a few minutes to subside. After that the soreness took two weeks to clear up. But now I have a burning and sunburn-like feeling again more dead center now just below the sternum, and it is sensitive to the touch. I also seem to be getting some sharp pains internally in the abdomen area. No other symptoms. Diet and exercise are all fine.

5'7" 180 pounds healthy eater no other health problems.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description it seems that you had a severe localized muscle spasm due to an abnormal posture. The muscular spasms sometimes take weeks to resolve.
The sunburn like feeling just below sternum can be due to costochondritis.
Inflammation of costochondral joints is mostly due to a genetic predisposition. There are some autoimmune disorders also which need to be ruled out for their association like- fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis reactive arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease).
I hope you are not having any problems related to any other joint pains and bowel movements.
Pain killers, antiinflammatory drugs- steroids and lidocaine patch are the main treatments. You need discuss all options available with your orthopedician for proper treatment.
Meanwhile doing a hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor