Suggested treatment of UTI

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: For the past week I have had all the usual symptoms for a uti. I went to the Dr's today and urine tested free of blood and bacteria, but positive for pus. Does that mean I have an infection or not. If I do, Why is it free of bacteria? Feeling frustrated and confused..
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please go ahead with a urine culture investigation

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

The investigation conducted was a urine analysis, which is not such an elaborate investigation, and only provides very basic information based on the sample provided. Many times, the provided sample does not have enough content to prove a particular diagnosis. So the bacteria could be absent due to an improper sample, and various other reasons.

I would recommend an investigation called a urine culture and sensitivity investigations which will provide us with the following information:
-Confirmation of the infection
-Name of the infection-causing organism
-Antibiotics which will be best suited in treating the infection: Your urine sample will be tested against a list of antibiotics, to check which one is resistant and which one will be effective (susceptible) in treating the infection (if at all it is present)

So please do report for a urine culture and sensitivity investigation which will help relieve you of your symptoms, infection, frustration and confusion. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.