Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Suggested treatment of UTI

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
For the past week I have had all the usual symptoms for a uti. I went to the Dr's today and urine tested free of blood and bacteria, but positive for pus. Does that mean I have an infection or not. If I do, Why is it free of bacteria? Feeling frustrated and confused..
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please go ahead with a urine culture investigation

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

The investigation conducted was a urine analysis, which is not such an elaborate investigation, and only provides very basic information based on the sample provided. Many times, the provided sample does not have enough content to prove a particular diagnosis. So the bacteria could be absent due to an improper sample, and various other reasons.

I would recommend an investigation called a urine culture and sensitivity investigations which will provide us with the following information:
-Confirmation of the infection
-Name of the infection-causing organism
-Antibiotics which will be best suited in treating the infection: Your urine sample will be tested against a list of antibiotics, to check which one is resistant and which one will be effective (susceptible) in treating the infection (if at all it is present)

So please do report for a urine culture and sensitivity investigation which will help relieve you of your symptoms, infection, frustration and confusion. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor