Suggest ways to wean off Valsartan

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Feb 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello there!
I have a question about weaning myself off of Valsartan. I am a teacher with normal blood pressure, and I was working in Shanghai, China, where the pollution (PM 2.5, etc.) was continuously very bad for about a month, and my blood pressure went up. The doctor in China put me on Valsartan - 40mg. I returned to the U.S. 2 days ago, and have taken 40 mg for the 2 days, but I need to wean myself off this medication. The Chinese doctor told me I could NOT just stop taking the medication, but had to do it slowly and in decreasing increments. Please tell me what your suggestion is for dosages and the time period you would suggest to slowly and safely get myself off the medication. My blood pressure - with the medication - is now about 110/70. I really don't want to take the medication for much longer. I never had any problems with blood pressure until I spent 2 months in Shanghai. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that the dose of valsartan that you are taking actually is a very low dose and can be stopped cold turkey.

Anyway, to avoid possible rebound hypertension, I would recommend reducing the dose to 20 mg for a week and then stop taking it.

Based on your blood pressure values, I agree that you don't need to take valsartan any more.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri