Suggest ways to wean off Tramadol

Posted on Fri, 7 Oct 2016 in Pain Management
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX i've been taking tramadol for a long time about 6 years 8 Capsula day 50mg I really want to go off tramadol can you please help me
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Slow tapering to prevent withdrawal

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking XXXXXXX

I read your question and i understand your concern. Opioid pain-killer such as tramadol for 6 years with maximum tolerable dose of 400 mg in 24 hours , if to be discontinued , it should be slow tapering and with some supportive pain killer. I would want you to visit your pain medicine specialist or addiction medicine specialist and let them devise a strategy for slowly tapering these tramadol pain killers. For example reducing to 6 pills a day for a few weeks then 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 and then 1 and then slowly weaned off. Along with it you will need some other pain killer. Quick discontinuation will lead to extreme withdrawal symptoms and is not recommended.

Let your pain management expert decide what to do. I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan