• question-icon

Suggest ways to wean off Morphine

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have decided to take myself off morphine, 30 extended relief a.m. And bedtime, with 5 mg prn. How much am I actually getting overall, with these amounts? Because it's extended I'm confused! My day awake is normally, 9 am to 1 am. I suffer with chronic sciatic pain from 5 back surgeries, a pain block is recommended but I have to wait one year. Since dropping to one extended morpine as above and replacing with lyrica, pristique, 6 T3 over the day, regular coated aspirin, 5 mg morphine prn and diazepam plus 100% natural oil 'morphine bombs' 3 x day, my pain is less, should I just be my own doctor?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
That's the best approach, be your own doctor!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this chronic pain. The best doctor for pain management is the patient who has the pain. This is because getting the right drug(s) is a matter trial and at times doctors may fail to get there. If you have identified what works for you, simply share with the doctor and that's what you should be getting. As for morphine, extended or not doesn't change the amount in it. What changes when we talk of extended is that it will be liberated over a long time as opposed to immediate release. Simply add the mgs and that is what you are receiving in a day. Because you are on regular aspirin, remember to eat well as this can lead to possible stomach ulcers and pains.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Ivo Ditah